Commissioned by I-Park Foundation
composed during: 08/21/2015
composed in: East Haddam (USA)
dedicated to: Yumi Suehiro
- 01/05/2020_Mise-En Place Brooklyn_New York_USA_Yumi Suehiro
- 01/31/2018_Yapi Kredi Concert Hall_Istanbul_Turkey_Müge Hendekli
- 11/11/2015_Ensemble Modern Building_Frankfurt am Main_Germany_Neus Estarellas Calderon
- 10/28/2015_Mozarteum University_Salzburg_Austria_Nicholas Young
- 08/23/2015_I-Park_East Haddam_USA_ Yumi Suehiro
Alaq is the first piece of a larger piano cycle, which I am still working on. As in my piece A.Q.II it uses tuning-fork-techniques and preparations, which produce sounds in the spectrum between fragility and clearness. The main question was, how is it possible to write piano music in the 21st century. Which qualities should it have? This question I am trying to answer in that cycle.
Alaq lasts approx. 53 seconds. It refers to surah Alaq (96) in the recitation of Sheik Shuraim, which has the same duration.